Voting message for U.S. citizens

Embassy Seal

Just voted in November? Still traveling or living overseas? You should register and request your absentee ballot to vote again in 2017 to ensure your election office knows where to send your ballot for any upcoming special elections for federal office. Some states are also holding gubernatorial or other statewide elections this year.

The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) recommends all overseas U.S. citizens send in a completed Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) early every year. The FPCA is the registration and ballot request form accepted by all states and territories.

You can use the FPCA online assistant, complete the fillable PDF version, or pick up a hardcopy version from the Consular Section. Be sure your contact information is accurate in case your election office needs to reach you.

Completed FPCA cards and ballots can be deposited in the Embassy’s drop box (located by the front gate) on business days from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for mailing back to the United States. You can also hand deliver your FPCA card or ballot to the Embassy’s Consular section on business days from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary. Please make sure your FPCA card or ballot is placed in the postage paid envelope available online at and is addressed to your election officials. Many states also allow electronic submission of the FPCA card.

If you’d like more information on the Federal Voting Assistance Program or need help with the absentee voting process please go to or call FVAP at 703-588-1584 (toll free 1-800-438-VOTE or DSN 425-1584) or email Or contact U.S. Embassy Rangoon’s Voting Assistance Officer at or (+95) 1 536 509.

Toll-free phone numbers from 67 countries are listed at Find FVAP on Facebook at and follow @FVAP on Twitter.