Tourism & Business

Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. As of August 12, 2019, U.S. Embassy Rangoon has begun issuing a combined B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant visa, for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business, tourism, pleasure and/or visiting. B-1/B-2 visas are single-entry and valid for three months. If qualified, persons may apply for a multi-entry B-1 visa (for business only). There is no multi-entry B-1/B-2 visa.

For more information on business, and tourist and visit visas, please visit the Department of State website.

We recommend that applicants only purchase travel tickets after they have received their visa.

Here are some examples of activities permitted with a B-1/B-2 visa:

  • Consult with business associates
  • Attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
  • Settle an estate
  • Negotiate a contract
  • Tourism
  • Vacation (holiday)
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)

Attention:  As of July 9, 2018, the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon, Burma has discontinued the issuance of all B-1, B-2, and B-1/B-2 nonimmigrant visas for current officials at the Director General level and above from the Burmese Ministries of Labor, Immigration, and Population (MOLIP) and Home Affairs (MOHA), and their immediate family members, with limited exceptions.  For more information, click here.