Study & Exchange

U.S. Embassy Rangoon
October 31, 2022

Info Session for Prospective Student Visa Applicants


Prospective U.S. study abroad students are invited to attend an informational session on student visa applications at 2:00 p.m. on November 16, 2022, at American Center Yangon (ACY).  Presented by the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon’s Consular Section, the event is open to all individuals considering studying in the United States.  This is an opportunity to learn about the application process for student (F and M) and exchange visitor (J) visas.

Due to current health and safety restrictions, we can only accept the first fifty (50) individuals who register.  We will offer a concurrent virtual option via Zoom for those who are not selected to attend in person.  We will email log-in details to those who RSVP.

If you wish to participate, please RSVP by November 11, 2022 using this link.  We encourage you to submit questions for the session in the comment section.

Please note that we are unable to answer questions related to current or prior visa applications during this session. For more information on our consular services, please visit our website. We look forward to seeing you on November 16, 2022.


The United States supports international education and welcomes foreign students and exchange visitors. If you are a returning student, please check to see if you are eligible for the Interview Waiver HERE.

The United States supports international education and welcomes foreign students and exchange visitors. Students and exchange visitors must be accepted by their schools or program sponsors before applying for visas.

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) visa can be used.  Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, distance learning which includes a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus requires an F-1 visa.

For more information on study & exchange visas please visit the Department of State website.

You must have a student visa to study in the United States. Your course of study and the type of school you plan to attend determine whether you need an F-1 visa or an M-1 visa.

F Visa: attend University or College, High School, Private elementary school, Seminary, Conservatory, another academic institution, including a language training program

M Visa: attend vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program.

Exchange visitor (J-1) visas are nonimmigrant visas for individuals approved to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States.