The Interview

Fiancé(e) Visa Interview Instructions (PDF 63KB)

Fiancé Visa

Once your petition has been approved, fees have been paid, and documents have been submitted to the National Visa Center (NVC), the petitioner will receive a letter with your case number with instructions to prepare for the interview. Once they receive this letter, take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview. Please note, Consular staff will notify your fiancé (e)’s of their visa interview date, only after they review the completed documents.

*Eligible children of K-1 visa applicants may apply for K-2 visas. Separate applications must be submitted for each K visa applicant, and each K visa applicant must pay the visa application fee.  Learn more about petitions for children here.

  • Complete Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application

Your signature is not required on the DS-160.  You (and any eligible children applying for K-2 visas) must: (1) complete Form DS-160 and (2) print the DS-160 confirmation page to submit prior to your interview. 

IMPORTANT! Please see our link to instructions in Myanmar or English before filling out the DS-160.

  • Gather the Required Documents and Complete the Medical Exam 
  1. Additional Form If you are a third country national (not a citizen of Burma) applying for a nonimmigrant or immigrant visa, the additional form listing family members and occupations is not required.
  2. Passport(s): Original and one photocopy of a biographic page , valid for six months beyond the intended date of entry into the United States.
  3. Photographs: Two (2) unfiltered 2×2 photographs, on a white background, no older than 6 months, no glasses. See the required photo format explained in Photograph Requirements.
  4. Birth Certificate: Original birth certificate and notarized translation, plus one photocopy of each document. If you do not have a birth certificate, click here for more information.

Please be advised that this is the most common mistake applicants make! Most applicants do not have a birth certificate. If do you not have a birth certificate,

Note: For applicants born in Burma: if you do not have a original birth certificate, you may only go to the public health department in your township of birth to request a duplicate.  If you never received a birth certificate and you are older than 10 years of age, you must go to the Department of Public Health in your township of birth to request an official letter verifying that they have no record of your birth.  The letter must be accompanied by a copy of your NRC with a notarized English translation.

Do not obtain the health letter from a relative, visa agent, midwife, or hospital.  Submitting unofficial documents are not acceptable and will delay your immigrant visa.  Submitting fraudulent documents may be cause for the revocation of your petition

  1. Marriage/Divorce/Death Certificate: Original certificates and notarized translation, plus one photocopy of each document. If you do not have marriage/divorce/death certificate required, click herefor more information.
  2. Police Certificate: Updated original police certificates and a notarized English translation. Police certificates must be obtained from Burmese township police station of your primary residence where you have resided for six months or more past the age of 16, and all other countries you have resided for over one year.  For persons residing overseas, the most practical way to obtain the certificate is through close relatives or friends still in Burma.
  3. Evidence of Support: Form I-134, updated IRS tax transcript from the petitioner and proof of U.S citizenship.
  4. Proof of relationship: Any information that can prove the relationship between you and the petitioner.  This could be the photos with the petitioner and etc.
  5. Court Records: If applicable. Please submit the original document, a notarized translation, and one photocopy of each.
  6. Adoption Decree:If applicable. Please submit the original document, a notarized translation, and one photocopy of each
  7. Military Records:If applicable. Please submit the original records, a notarized translation, and one photocopy of each.
  8. Evidence of relationshipwith your U.S. Citizen fiancé 

Only after U.S Embassy Rangoon sends the instruction letter and informs that your physical fiancé case file is arrived at the U.S Embassy Rangoon,  every applicant, regardless of age, must undergo a medical examination which must be performed by an authorized panel physician.  Please contact the following clinic to schedule your examination:

Samitivej International Co. Ltd.

No: 9E/2, Kabar Aye Pagoda Road, Mayangone Township, Yangon
phone numbers: (+951) 656732/ (+951) 660545
HP: (+959) 253686320/ (+959) 30508263

Once the results and the required documents are ready, please send the email to  for the interview date with the attachment of DS-160 confirmation page. We will schedule the interview date at that time.

  • Submit Your Passport and Forms

Once you have printed your DS-160 confirmation sheet and have all the required documents, send an email to to schedule your K-1 interview. Please note that you will need to bring all of the requested documents to your appointment. Failure to provide these documents at your interview will delay your case.

  • Interview

On the day of your interview appointment, applicants are required to pay the visa application fee (MRV fee).  For current fees, see Fees for Visa Services. For current fees for USCIS, see Check Filing Fees on the USCIS website. The Consular Office accepts U.S. dollars cash only. Credit cards, personal checks and other currencies are not accepted. 

The purpose of your interview is to determine whether you have a bona fide relationship with your U.S. petitioner and whether you intend to intend to marry your petitioner within 90 days of arriving in the U.S. Please be prepared to discuss your relationship in detail.

  • Only visa applicants with confirmed appointments will be granted access onto the Embassy compound.
  • Cars are not allows to enter the Embassy gate area.  Parking is not available.

Ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken as part of your application process at the Embassy on the day of your interview.

Policy for Personal Electronic Device Access to Embassy

Consular section visa applicants are not permitted to bring personal electronic devices (PEDs) or liquids onto the Embassy compound.

PEDs include computers, laptops, radios, cell phones, smart phones, MP3 players, iPads and other tablet devices, handheld gaming devices, smart watches, and wearable electronic fitness devices.

Water fountains are available in the consular section waiting room.


You should read the Rights and Protections pamphlet before your visa interview to learn about your rights in the United States relating to domestic violence, sexual assault, and child abuse and protection available to you. The Consular Officer will verbally summarize the pamphlet to you during your interview. Additionally, K-1 visa applicants will be provided with any existing criminal background information on their U.S. citizen fiancé(e)s that USCIS received from other government agencies during the processing of their Form I-129F petitions.

The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval by USCIS. A Consular Officer can extend the validity of the petition if it expires before visa processing is completed.

For Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), you can visit the USCIS website for the status of your petition.

Once your case has been received from NVC by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that will process it, the length of time varies from case to case according to its circumstances. Some cases are delayed because applicants do not follow instructions carefully or supply incomplete information. (It is important to give us correct postal addresses and telephone numbers.) Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a Consular Officer.