Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until June 30, 2022. See this page for more information.
The Consular Office accepts U.S. dollars cash only. Credit cards, personal checks and other currencies are not accepted.
If you need to replace a lost, stolen, or expired passport for imminent or urgent travel, contact the Consular Section directly during business hours (see info below), before coming to the Embassy. For assistance after normal business hours contact the Duty Officer. If you have been a victim of a crime report your lost or stolen passport to the police station nearest the incident. Request a copy of the police report for submission with your application for a new passport.
All emergency passports applications should be submitted in person and are valid for one year. Please be aware that in most cases, except for serious emergencies, you will need to submit your application during American Citizen Services Hours (1:30-3:00pm), and the emergency passport will be issued the next business day.
For non-urgent cases please click here for instructions to renew your passport.
What to Bring
- Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (current passport, or birth certificate if this is the minor’s first passport)
- Photo Identification (driver’s license, expired passport, etc.)
- Travel Itinerary
- Police Report (if available)
- A Passport Photo (one unfiltered 2 X 2 inch photo on a white background is required
- Application Form (DS82 if in possession of valid passport or DS11 for lost or stolen passport). Blank copies of this form are available at time of application.
For passport fee, please see https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/fees.html
For questions, please contact us at ACSRangoon@state.gov.
- DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport (PDF 3.40 MB) (may be completed at time of application)
- Non-refundable fee in US dollars cash. Please click here for fee schedule.