Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question for the Consul, look below to see if it has already been answered. We welcome questions, and regularly post good questions to this site for the benefit of others. If you would like to ask the Consul a question, write to and write “Ask the Consul” in the email subject line

All non-emergency citizen services require an appointment made through our online scheduling system: U.S. Citizens Services Appointment system.  If you come to the Embassy for non-emergency services without an appointment, we will not be able to assist you.  Non-emergency  services include passport applications, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, notarials, federal benefits questions, or general inquiries.  U.S. Citizens with emergency needs, if possible, should call or email (Contact information) before coming to the Embassy to get information about what to bring and how we can assist you. 

Consular staff CANNOT make appointments for you over the phone.

All appointments should be made using our online system: U.S. Citizens Services Appointment system.

Your appointment confirmation page will be emailed to the email address you provided when you make the appointment.

Travel Registration, also known as the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), makes your presence in the country known to the Embassy.  If there is an emergency or if worried friends and family are trying to locate you through the Consular Section, registering allows the embassy to get in contact with you. See our page on Travel Registration for more info.  

Yes. As of February 1, 2008, by law, both parents must appear with the child, take an oath, and sign the child’s passport application in front of a Consular Official. For children under 16 you must bring the child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) identifying the parents, and parents must have identification (ideally passports) for themselves.

The U.S. citizen could consider hiring a local attorney.  The Consular Section can provide a list of local attorneys who are known but for whom the Embassy does not advocate or vouch for their professional skills or practices. The Consular Section is not able to intervene in a business dispute.

The Embassy accepts U.S. Treasury checks on behalf of U.S. citizens but we cannot accept personal mail.

The Consular Section accepts U.S. dollars cash only. Credit cards and other currencies are not accepted.

Unfortunately we do not offer fingerprinting services. Your local police station should be able to provide this service. We do not perform FBI background checks.

Contact the Consular Section for assistance in getting funds if you run out of money while in country.

Yes. In January 2013, Western Union introduced money transfer services in seven Burmese banks. The seven Burmese banks involved in the partnership are Kanbawza Bank (KBZ Bank), First Private Bank, Myanmar Oriental Bank, Cooperative Bank, United Amara Bank, Myanmar Apex Bank, and the Myanmar Livestock and Fisheries Development Bank.
You will need the following information to pick up your transfer:

  • Sender’s name, address and phone number
  • Amount of the transfer
  • Country and city where the transfer was made
  • MTCN (money transfer control number)

Please see the USCIS website for more information about living outside the U.S. as an LPR:

If you are an LPR and plan to be outside of the United States for more than one year but less than two years, you should apply for a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave.

If you have been out of the U.S. for more than 12 months and do not hold a re-entry permit, you may be considered to have abandoned your permanent residency in the United States. In very exceptional circumstances, you may be eligible for a returning resident visa (SB1) but you need to show that 1) you had the LPR status when you departed; 2) you planned to return when you left; and 3)the cause of your overstay in Burma was due to circumstances beyond your control.

If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website  before appearing in person at the consular section.  Information on the new form and fee is located here.  You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A.  As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.  When you are ready to make an appointment at the consular section, please send an email to


You may find additional information on and instructions for the I-131A on the I-131A Form and Instructions page.

No, Burma does not have a visa on arrival program for tourists.  Starting September 1, 2014, the Government of Burma implemented a new eVisa program for tourists to Burma.  This program allows tourists to apply for a visa online in advance of their trip. Applicants will know within 3 days whether they have been approved for a tourist visa.  Please refer to the Ministry of Immigration and Population website for more information:

As in all countries, the prevailing law is determined by the host government. We strongly encourage all visiting U.S. citizens to abide by the local laws of Burma.  Please read here (PDF 166KB) what the U.S. government’s role is in arrest cases.

Please refer to the Ministry of Tours and Tourism website:

Under Burmese law, insulting religion is a prosecutable offense. ‘Insult’ is a very broad term that could include tattoos or other religious representations in a non-religious context. Images of the Buddha can be particularly sensitive. Also, as in any country, visitors are encouraged to be respectful of local customs when visiting religious sites.

Please look at the Business section of the Embassy website: You can also email with specific questions.

See the OFAC website for more details and the Business section of the Embassy:

Please see the IRS website for information about filing your taxes from overseas:

Try Our New International Index

IRS contact information is here:

Contact My Local Office Internationally

The IRS website also has a directory of licensed tax preparers: RPO Preparer Directory

You can also find more links under ‘obligations’ here: Benefits and Obligations while Abroad

he Internal Revenue Service (IRS) now offers a way to obtain records of your past tax returns, also known as a tax transcript, online.  You have the option of downloading and printing your past tax returns immediately or you can request to have copies of the returns mailed to your home address.

To get a record of your past tax returns, please visit the IRS’s webpage at

Please make an appointment online for a notarial service. We can provide you a notarized true copy of your U.S. passport biographical information page. Another option is for you to notarize an affidavit attesting to your U.S. citizenship. You must bring your own affidavit; we do not have a standard form for you to use. The fee for each notary service is $50.00, and you must bring your U.S. passport with you to the appointment.