Emergency Financial Assistance

Sending Money in an Emergency

When a U.S. citizen encounters an emergency financial situation abroad, the Department of State’s Office of Overseas Citizens Services (OCS) can establish a Trust account in the citizen’s name in order to forward funds overseas if no other options are available. Please contact the Consular Section directly to enquire about this service.

Address: 110 University Ave, Kamayut Township, Rangoon, Burma
Phone: (95)-(1) 753-6509
E-mail: ACSRangoon@state.gov

U.S. citizens in Burma can now receive money transferred via Western Union at any branch of the following local banks: Cooperative Bank (CB), Kanbawza Bank (KBZ), First Private Bank, Myanmar Oriental Bank, United Amara Bank, Myanmar Apex Bank and the Myanmar Livestock and Fisheries Development Bank. People transferring money to Burma will receive a 10-digit money transfer control number (MTCN). To collect the money, the recipients will have to provide the following information:

  • Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN)
  • Identification such as a passport and visa
  • Name, address, and phone number of person transferring money
  • The amount of money transferred
  • Country and city where money was transferred

Recipients will receive the money in kyat, the local currency. Burmese kyat can be converted to U.S. dollars at banks or currency exchange counters.