Security Update: November 29, 2022
EVENT: For the months of October and November 2022, there was a general increase in violent attacks, including explosions, shootings, and IEDS. The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor and confirm reports of violent incidents. In the event of an emergency, please observe alarms, shelter appropriately, and follow guidance from local authorities.
All are reminded to travel cautiously in Yangon and maintain a heightened situational awareness. If you observe something suspicious or dangerous, move away and report it to law enforcement as soon as it safe to do so.
Attacks in Yangon continue to primarily target regime-affiliated locations and personnel but may impact civilians and bystanders, including in areas regularly frequented by foreigners, such as lodging/hotel accommodations, shopping areas, restaurants, etc.
Actions to Take:
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.