Security Update: December 20, 2022
EVENT: We anticipate potential increases in attacks, targeted shootings, or explosions during upcoming holidays, including Burmese Independence Day and Union Day. Given increased security force presence and possible retaliatory action and out of an abundance of caution, Americans are to maintain a heightened situational awareness and avoid unnecessary movements on holidays and days of national significance. Targets may include regime-affiliated establishments, bars, restaurants, hotels, and serviced apartments, but may impact civilians and bystanders, including areas regularly frequented by foreigners. The U.S. Embassy continues to monitor and confirm reports of violent incidents. In the event of an emergency, please observe alarms, shelter appropriately, and follow guidance from local authorities.
All are reminded to travel cautiously in Yangon and maintain a heightened situational awareness. If you observe something suspicious or dangerous, move away and report it to law enforcement as soon as it safe to do so.
Actions to Take:
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.