United States Embassy Rangoon, Burma
Security Message: By-elections
April 01, 2017
The U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens of the upcoming by-elections scheduled for April 1, 2017 in certain districts in Yangon and Bago divisions, and in Chin, Mon, Rakhine, Sagaing, Shan, and Kayah states. Although there have been no specific incidents of violence targeting U.S. citizens, U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution, and stay current with media coverage of local events.
The U.S. Embassy recommends U.S. citizens maintain a high level of security awareness during the electoral period and avoid political rallies, polling centers, demonstrations, and crowds of any kind as instances of unrest can endanger bystanders. Review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Burma Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon, located at 110 University Avenue, Kamayut Township, at +95-01-536-509, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +95 09-512-4330, or +95 01-500-547.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.