Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma (Myanmar): Information for U.S. Citizens (July 27, 2022)
EVENT: The U.S. Embassy in Rangoon is aware of social media posts calling for an escalation in violence against the military regime throughout Burma, and in Rangoon in particular.
It is strongly recommended to stay away from security forces and prepare for targeted assassinations and IED attacks against known regime sympathizers and security personnel. Although there is no specific threat against foreigners, the threat of being in the wrong place at the wrong time is a primary concern, especially since the calls for violence are from People’s Defense Forces (PDF) based throughout the city. The regime’s violent response to attacks, demonstrations, or any other perceived threat to their authority requires everyone to remain aware of their environment and consider all movement throughout the city. All are reminded that attacks can happen anywhere at any time.
All should anticipate possible communication outages. It is also recommended to have seven days of food, water, and medicine available in case the regime announces lockdowns or if movement throughout the city becomes too dangerous. Always remember to pay particular attention to changes in your local security environment and your ability to communicate.
Actions to Take:
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.