Location: Eastern Mandalay Division and Northern Shan State, Burma
Event: Fighting continues between the Burmese security forces and ethnic armed groups in eastern Mandalay Division and northern Shan State. Over the August 17-18 weekend, armed engagements spread northeast in Shan State, reaching areas northeast of Lashio. Many roads, railways, and bridges between townships in northern Shan State are closed. Commercial flights are available from Lashio airport to other parts of Burma. Some roads to Lashio are closed due to fighting.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel along Highway 3 from Pyin Oo Lwin to Muse and along Highway 34 from Hseni to Hopang at this time due to armed fighting. U.S. Embassy personnel are still permitted to travel to the city of Lashio.
- Read our current travel advisory at: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/burma-travel-advisory.html.
- If you are in northern Shan State, make contingency plans to leave, possibly via Lashio airport. If you are unable to travel due to fighting, shelter in place, maintain contact with local authorities for travel options, and call us at 01-7536509 for assistance.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Burma Country Information