Location: Myitkyina City, Kachin State, Burma
Events: On May 15, 2018 at approximately 11:30 P.M., two explosions occurred along the Myitkyina – Mandalay railway line outside the Namtee railway station. The explosions caused a train carrying soldiers to derail. There were no reported casualties.
Also, the Myanmar military has recently established temporary checkpoints on airport roads in Myitkyina city, Kachin State. The airport remains open for traffic and civilians are being allowed to pass after checking identity documents and flight reservations. Another checkpoint has been established on the road to Moegaung District. The Myanmar military has stated that checkpoints will remain in place for at least seven more days.
Starting today, the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon is recommending that Embassy staff temporarily postpone all non-essential travel to Myitkyina city.
Recommended precautions if you are living in, or passing through Myitkyina:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations and transportation hubs.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current visa.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Make contingency plans to leave.
- U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burma Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.