Location: Rakhine State, Myanmar
Event: Recent months have seen increasing armed conflict in northern Rakhine State, including this week’s abduction of five foreign nationals. Armed groups have targeted public transit routes and have kidnapped persons regardless of their affiliation to the Burmese security forces.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to Buthidaung, Kyauktaw, Maungdaw, Minbya, Mrauk- U, Ponnagyun, and Rathedaung townships, and reconsider travel to Ann and Myebon townships in Rakhine State due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
- If you do decide to travel to northern Rakhine State, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, monitor local media for updates, and notify friends and family of your safety.
- U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burma Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.