U.S. Embassy in Myanmar
Security Alert – May 1, 2023
Event: The consecration ceremony of the Shwe Dagon Pagoda in Yangon by 11,111 monks is scheduled for 4:00 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. on May 2, 2023.
Due to potential traffic congestion, it is recommended to avoid Pyay Road and the Shwe Dagon Pagoda and People’s Park areas during this time frame.
The Yangon Regional Government confirmed the following road closures for 12:00 a.m. – 6:00 a.m. on May 2, 2023:
- Pyay Road (from the Shin Saw Pu – Pyay intersection to the Ahlone – Pyay intersection)
- U Wisara Road (from the U Wisara – Dhamazedi intersection to the U Wisara – Ahlone intersection)
- Baho Road (from the Baho – Ahlone intersection to the Baho – Shin Saw Pu intersection)
- Ahlone Road (from the U Wisara – Ahlone intersection to the Baho – Ahlone intersection)
- Shin Saw Pu Street (from the Baho – Shin Saw Pu intersection to the Shin Saw Pu – Pyay intersection)
- Dhamazedi Road (from the Dhamazedi – U Wisara intersection to the Pyay – Dhamazedi intersection)
There are reports of increased arrests, specifically for loitering. Those arrested for loitering have been charged with “terrorism.” Pickpocketing, robberies, and scams have also increased due to the country’s deteriorating economic situation.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas near regime-affiliated locations.
- Avoid large public gatherings.
- Maintain constant awareness of your surroundings.
- Do not wear jewelry or display cash.
- Pay attention to changes to security in your areas as well as your ability to communicate.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure all cell phones and battery packs are fully charged.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible in the event of immediate or emergency travel.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.