U.S. Embassy in Myanmar
Security Alert – March 24, 2023
Event: March 27, 2023, marks Armed Forces Day. Expect evening fireworks, heavy traffic, road closures, additional security checkpoints, and an increase of security scrutiny.
There are reports of increased arrests, specifically for loitering. Those arrested for loitering have been charged with “terrorism.”
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas near regime-affiliated locations.
- Avoid large public gatherings.
- Maintain constant awareness of your surroundings.
- Do not wear jewelry or display cash.
- Pay attention to changes to security in your areas as well as your ability to communicate.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure all cell phones and battery packs are fully charged.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible in the event of immediate or emergency travel.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Burma Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.