Event: A pro-regime rally will be held on February 1 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Mahabandoola Park, Kayuktada township. Regime supporters plan to gather at Thamada Cinema and will march along Sule Pagoda Road to their destination, Mahabandoola Park.
Anti-democratic speeches, as well as traffic disruptions, are expected as sources anticipate more than 2,000 supporters for this event. Law enforcement contacts have been asked to remain vigilant for any potential attack/explosion against the pro-regime event.
February 1 will mark two years since the overthrow of Myanmar’s democratically elected government. As such, the potential exists for increased anti-regime activity and violence over the next few days.
Actions to Take:
- Maintain at least a 96-hour supply of food, water, and other critical supplies such as medicine.
- Anticipate communication/internet/power outages and fully charge cell phones and other communications equipment.
- Maintain heightened situational awareness.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels. Pay particular attention to announcements of lockdowns or movement restrictions.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Burma Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.