U.S. Embassy in Myanmar
Security Alert – February 9, 2023
Event: The U.S. Embassy has learned that, from February 10-12, 2023, there will a ceremony and a fair exhibition in the People’s Square and Park at the Yangon region parliament compound to commemorate the 76th anniversary of Union Day.
Due to the high certainty of increased security and history of incidents at regime-affiliated locations, all are encouraged to continue to avoid these areas. The Embassy reminds all of the potential dangers of attending large public gatherings.
Extremely heavy traffic is expected around the park during these dates, along with unannounced road closures. Pyay Road will be closed from 4:00 am to 8:00 am on February 10-12, and traffic will be diverted accordingly.
All should also take steps to prevent becoming a victim of crime. Such steps include avoid large gatherings, maintain constant situation awareness, and refrain from wearing jewelry or displaying cash. Pay attention to changes to security in your areas as well as your ability to communicate (telecom signals have been disrupted the last several days).
Actions to Take:
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure all cell phones and battery packs are fully charged.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible in the event of immediate or emergency travel.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.