U.S. Embassy in Myanmar
Security Alert – April 7, 2023
Event: People Defense Forces-affiliated groups have warned the media of their plans to attack military regime-affiliated locations especially during the Thingyan Water Festival. The Thingyan Water Festival will be observed April 13-17, 2023. Expect road closures, heavy traffic, and increased pedestrian traffic in downtown Yangon and the Shwe Dagon Pagoda. Large crowds are expected at the Shwe Dagon Pagoda on New Year’s Day, April 17, 2023.
The U.S. Embassy in Rangoon will be closed April 11-17, 2023, in observance of this holiday.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid areas near regime-affiliated locations.
- Avoid large public gatherings.
- Maintain constant awareness of your surroundings.
- Do not wear jewelry or display cash. Pay attention to changes to security in your areas as well as your ability to communicate.
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure all cell phones and battery packs are fully charged.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible in the event of immediate or emergency travel.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Burma Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.