Location: Lashio, Shan State, Myanmar
Event: Initial reports indicate that multiple rockets were fired in Lashio town on Saturday, November 16. One rocket hit the Lashio airport runway, which caused the Myanmar government to temporarily close the airport. Another rocket hit a civilian residential area. The airport is now open and security services have increased security checks in the city.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider your need to travel to Lashio due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
- Do not travel to other parts of northern Shan State, including Hseni, Hsipaw, Konkyan, Kutkai, Kyaukme, Laukkaing, Muse, and Namtu townships due to civil unrest and armed conflict.
- If you do decide to travel to Lashio and other parts of northern Shan State, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, monitor local media for updates, and notify friends and family of your safety.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burma Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.