Alert: U.S. Embassy Rangoon – December 28, 2022
Location: Downtown Rangoon
Event: Restricted Traffic in Rangoon
The Embassy has received reports the military regime will close a stretch of Pyay Road between Bagaya and Pyi Htaung Su Yeik Tha Road on January 1st between midnight until January 2nd 09:00 a.m. to practice for their Independence Day military parade. They will close the same roads again on January 3rd between midnight until January 4th 09:00 a.m. for the parade event. The parade is scheduled to start on January 4th at 4:20 a.m. near the Yangon Regional Government building and will conclude approximately at 8:00 a.m. MMT at the People’s Park. The estimated number of parade participants is 500 people.
All are reminded to travel cautiously in Rangoon and maintain a heightened situational awareness. If you observe something suspicious or dangerous, move away and report it to law enforcement as soon as it safe to do so.
Actions to Take:
· Avoid the route and area while the roads are closed
· Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
· Monitor local media for updates
· Keep a low profile.
· U.S. Embassy Rangoon
· State Department – – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates