U.S. Embassy in Myanmar
Natural Disaster Alert – May 14, 2023
UPDATE: Cyclone Mocha has strengthened, and meteorologists expect it to make landfall this afternoon on the Rakhine coast, May 14, 2023, at 161 mph. This is the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane. Weather centers forecast Cyclone Mocha will be at full cyclone strength when it reaches Sagaing. They expect it to then make its way to Chin State, Magway, and Kachin State.
Under cyclonic conditions, please be aware of strong winds, heavy rains, flash floods, and landslides in the hilly areas and near small rivers.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the Department of Meteorology and Hydrology website and local and social media news for updates.
- Exercise extreme caution if you live within the affected areas.
- Ensure you have food and necessary supplies to last seven days.
- Secure your homes (consider covering windows, anchor loose outdoor objects, etc).
- Charge all cell phones and battery packs.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible in the event of immediate or emergency travel.
- Review your personal safety and security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.