Message to U.S. Citizens: Information Update, February 12, 2021
February 12, 2021
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN RANGOON IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE AMERICAN LIAISON NETWORK AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN BURMA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.
Today, Yangon International Airport remains open for international flights. Most domestic flights have been grounded. Reports indicate roads to Yangon are open, however, COVID-19 travel restrictions may still apply. For the latest information on flight schedules and seat availability, we encourage U.S. citizens to contact the airlines directly as information changes frequently. For assistance with contact information for airlines or travel agents, please contact us at ACSRangoon@state.gov.
To comply with CDC COVID-19 testing requirements for travel to the U.S., there are two testing sites in Yangon accepting customers. Please refer to our COVID-19 website for the latest information on local testing options, and for more information about the CDC testing requirement.
Protests are likely to continue and grow in Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw, Mandalay, and elsewhere today and through the weekend. Please continue to maintain situational awareness and avoid protests.
In the event of mass demonstration, internet and phone outages may occur. Please review the personal preparedness guidelines below:
- Make plans to account for the whereabouts of your loved ones.
- Ensure you have enough food, water, cash, and other essentials to last you throughout the outage, which may last for days.
- Contact loved ones when you can to update them on your status.
- Prepare a go-bag with essential items for immediate travel.
- Make sure your passport is still valid. Many countries require at least 6 months validity for entry or transit.
- Carry our emergency contact card in your wallet or on your phone.
The Consular Section of U.S. Embassy Rangoon remains open and is providing routine and emergency American citizen services. Please visit our website to schedule an appointment to renew your passport, register your child’s birth abroad, or for notary services.
For information and assistance:
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burma, located at 110 University Avenue, Kamayut Township, Rangoon, at (+95) 1-753-6509 or at ACSRangoon@state.gov.
- Visit our website.
- Refer to the Burma Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- If you are in the United States, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free or 1-202-501-4444 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.