21 April 2020
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN RANGOON IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE AMERICAN LIAISON NETWORK AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN BURMA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.
Checkpoints for Entry to Nay Pyi Taw
The Nay Pyi Taw Council instructed local law enforcement to systematically inspect via checkpoints the health of all people entering Nay Pyi Taw, effective April 19. A facility quarantine will be enforced for those who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 and some government staff returning from Thingyan leave who did not report their travel to local authorities. Any person traveling to Nay Pyi Taw at this time may be placed in facility quarantine.
Curfews Expand to More States, Regions
Many of Burma’s states and regions have instituted curfews from 10:00 P.M. until 4:00 A.M, including the following:
- Shan State: effective April 20 until May 19. The curfew will not include townships in the self-administrative zones of Wa, Mong La and Kokang.
- Kayin State: effective April 18, until further notice
- Kachin State: effective April 17, until further notice. The curfew applies to 14 townships in four districts.
- Mandalay Region: effective April 17, until further notice
- Sagaing Region: effective April 12, until further notice
- Bago Region: effective April 18, until further notice.
- Ayeyarwaddy Region: effective April 18, until further notice. Express bus service and access to religious sites will remain closed until the end of April.
- Yangon Region: effective April 18, until further notice.
Domestic Travel Information
Airlines: All domestic airlines except Air KBZ have reportedly suspended domestic flights until April 30.
Trains: Only three train routes currently remain in operation:
- Yangon (Main Station) – Mandalay
- Yangon (Main Station) – Mawlawmyine
- Yangon (Kyimyintdine Township) – Pyay
Buses: Intracity public bus routes have been suspended until April 30, according to the Passenger Transportation Office at the Ministry of Transportation and Communication. Privately chartered transportation is not subject to the suspension.
We encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest updates.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Follow us on Twitter.