34th Anniversary of 8888 Uprising
August 8, 2022
EVENT: The U.S. Embassy in Rangoon verified social media reports that the regime has increased the number of deployed security personnel throughout Yangon on August 8, 2022. The regime anticipates that there will be “8888” anti-military movements and increased attacks around the city today, due to it being the 34th anniversary of the August 8, 1988, pro-democracy protest movement.
Regime troops are deployed around official buildings, the downtown area, and major pagodas. There are no known fixed checkpoints related to this increase, but regime vehicle patrols in the city have doubled. The U.S. Embassy verified that armed police have been seen at major intersections throughout the city, and it is recommended that you avoid
- Hledan intersection, Kamayut township
- 8-mile intersection, Mayangone township
- City hall, Kyauktada township
- Tamwe intersection, Tamwe township
- Phoe Sein Road, near Chatrium Hotel, Bahan township
- Thamine Station Road, Mayangone township
- Myaynigone intersection, Sanchaung township
While previous reports of increased PDF activity were aspirational and have not always materialized, this past week there was an increase of reported security incidents leading up to the weekend. The U.S. Embassy verified the joint PDF announcement yesterday that even more detonations at regime-affiliated locations are planned. Explosions in Yangon continue to primarily target regime-affiliated locations and personnel but may impact civilians and bystanders. All are reminded to travel cautiously in Yangon and maintain a heightened situational awareness. If you observe something suspicious or dangerous, move away and report it to law enforcement as soon as it safe to do so.
Actions to Take:
- Regularly monitor local and international news and social media news channels.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Review your personal security plans and always have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Get a COVID vaccine to facilitate your travel.
- Please see information on What the Department of State Can and Can’t Do in a Crisis.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
(+95) (1) 753-6509
Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
Follow us on Twitter.