22 April 2020
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN RANGOON IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE AMERICAN LIAISON NETWORK AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN BURMA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.
The Mandalay Region government issued orders on April 16 and 20 providing updated guidance on business closures, curfew, and travel:
- Businesses, hotels, motels, guest houses, inns, construction sites, and retail shops must remain closed through April 30.
- Essential goods/services (grocery stores, food production, medical facilities and pharmacies, public hospitals, petrol stations, power stations, and banks) will remain open.
- Curfew from 9:00 P.M. until 4:00 A.M., effective April 17 until further notice.
- Residents are also instructed to stay at home during the daytime.
- Anyone leaving their homes for sufficient reasons (including buying or selling goods at a local market) must wear a mask.
- Residents are permitted to travel in private vehicles, as long as there are no more than four passengers (including the driver).
- Vehicles transporting goods for trading purposes are permitted. People and vehicles traveling in Mandalay for trade purposes must have permission from the relevant ward office and Mandalay City Development Office.
- Buses carrying passengers for religious pilgrimage, picnics, and tourism are not permitted.
We encourage you to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive the latest updates in your country, as well as the days and hours of American Citizen Services.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
From within Burma: 01-753-6509
From outside Burma: +95-1-753-6509
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Follow us on Twitter.