18 March 2020
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN RANGOON IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE AMERICAN LIAISON NETWORK AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN BURMA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.
As the Myanmar government is responsibly moving to reduce risks, including from large gatherings, in light of the COVID-19 global pandemic, the U.S. Embassy is also taking proactive measures to further reduce risks to our community, friends, and partners.
To implement social distancing, as of Wednesday, March 18, 2020:
– American Center Yangon and Jefferson Center Mandalay will close to the public. English classes will be rescheduled.
– Routine non-immigrant and immigrant visa appointments will be cancelled. U.S. citizen services and diplomatic/official visa processing will continue without interruption.
– All visa applicants should monitor our Facebook page for updates on resumption of normal visa services. We will resume routine visa services when possible. If a visa applicant has an urgent matter and needs to travel immediately, please contact the immigrant visa unit atIVRangoon@state.gov or the non-immigrant visa unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
– The U.S. Embassy will continue to provide information to U.S. citizens living in or visiting Myanmar through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), the Embassy website, and the U.S. Citizen Services Twitter account. Enroll in STEP via http://step.state.gov.
– Stay informed about COVID-19 developments in Myanmar by reading this page: https://mm.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/. Follow us on Twitter @ACSRangoon. For emergencies involving a U.S. citizen, email ACSRangoon@state.gov or call the Embassy at 01-753-6509 from within Myanmar, +95-1-753-6509 from outside Myanmar.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444