Event: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China due to an ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus, which can be spread from person to person. There are so far no identified cases in Myanmar. Myanmar authorities have instituted health screening procedures at all international airports and land-border crossings.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all nonessential travel to China.
- Fact-check rumors you hear – visit the CDC page on Novel Coronavirus in China for authoritative information about the novel coronavirus.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- If you traveled to Wuhan and feel sick, or were exposed to someone who was in Wuhan in the last two weeks who has a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, seek medical care right away.
U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444