26 March 2020
Event: The Ministry of Health and Sports has confirmed three cases of COVID-19 in Burma.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.
There are few remaining flights departing Myanmar to international hubs. Currently, U.S. citizens seeking to return to the U.S. should explore transiting China (Guangzhou, Shanghai), Doha, Tokyo, and Bangkok.
The Royal Thai Government has temporarily suspended its requirement for a COVID-negative medical certificate and proof of insurance for transit passengers through Bangkok with less than 24 hours in the airport. These passengers will still need a fit-to-fly certificate to transit.
On March 14, 2020, the U.S. Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post, including U.S. Embassy Rangoon, of U.S. personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at a higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consider returning to your country of residence immediately using whatever commercial means are available. There are remaining flights departing Myanmar to international hubs, leaving as soon as today. U.S. citizens seeking to return to the U.S. should explore transiting China, Doha, Tokyo, and Bangkok.
- Have a travel plan that does not rely on the U.S. Government for assistance.
- Check with your airline, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Myanmar.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Rangoon
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Burma Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.