SPRING 2020 YSEALI ACADEMIC FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
The U.S. Embassy, Yangon is pleased to announce the opportunity to compete for the 2020 YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement, Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management, and Entrepreneurship and Economic Development.
WHAT: The YSEALI Academic Fellowship is an intensive short-term academic program whose purpose is to provide groups of young leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States and a particular theme, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Fellowship will focus on one of three themes: Civic Engagement, Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management, and Entrepreneurship and Economic Development. The five-week programs will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. The programs will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week. During the academic residency, participants will also have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom. The Fellowship will then conclude in Washington, D.C.
WHERE and WHEN:
- YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement: University of Nebraska – Omaha and Arizona State University from March 14 to April 18, 2020.
- YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management: University of Montana and the East-West Center from March 25 to April 29, 2020.
- YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: University of Connecticut and Brown University from March 21 to April 24, 2020.
WHO: full-time undergraduate students from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or have graduated in the past four years, who demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, extracurricular activities, or their profession. All candidates must have a strong interest in related topic but can come from any field of study.
An applicant must:
- Be a Myanmar citizen
- Be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- Have a strong interest in ASEAN-related issues;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in environmental issues;
- Leadership qualities and commitment to community;
- Have approval from your current employer or university to take a leave of absence;
- Be currently living and working in his/her home country;
- Be committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program and
- Be willing to join the broader YSEALI network.
A complete application set includes:
- Completed, signed application form [MS Word | 95KB]
- A personal essay
- High school completion certificate that shows your marks (scores)
- University transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
Application Form [MS Word | 95KB]
The deadline for application is November 1st, 2019.
For more information, please contact the Cultural Affairs Unit, Public Affairs Section, American Embassy, 110 University Avenue, Kamayut Township, Yangon; Ph: 536509/505113, Ext: 4381; email: RangoonUSECA@state.gov.
Sign up to be a YSEALI Member on our website: https://asean.usmission.gov/yseali/