FALL 2019 YSEALI ACADEMIC FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM ANNOUNCEMENT
The U.S. Embassy, Yangon is pleased to announce the opportunity to compete for the 2019 YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement, Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management, and Entrepreneurship and Economic Development.
WHAT: The YSEALI Academic Fellowships are intensive short term academic Institutes whose purpose is to provide groups of young leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States and a particular theme, while
simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Fellowship will focus on one of three themes: Civic Engagement, Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management, and Social Entrepreneurship and Economic
Development, and the five-week Institutes will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. The Institutes will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week. During the academic residency, participants will also have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom.
WHERE and WHEN:
YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Civic Engagement: University of Nebraska – Omaha and Kennesaw State University from September 21 to October 26, 2019
YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Environmental Issues and Natural Resource Management: University of Montana and the East-West Center from August 21 to September 25, 2019
YSEALI Academic Fellowship on Entrepreneurship and Economic Development: University of Connecticut and Brown University from September 7 to October 11, 2019
WHO: A full-time undergraduate student from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning; or have graduated in the past four years. All candidates must have a strong interest in related topic but can come from any field of study.
An applicant must:
- Be a Myanmar citizen
- Be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- Have a strong interest in ASEAN-related issues;
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in environmental issues;
- Leadership qualities and commitment to community;
- Have approval from your current employer or university to take a leave of absence;
- Be currently living and working in his/her home country;
- Be committed to returning to his/her home country after completion of the program and
- Be willing to join the broader YSEALI network.
A complete application set includes:
- Completed, signed application form
- A personal essay
- High school completion certificate that shows your marks (scores)
- University transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
The deadline for application is May 20, 2019.
For more information, please contact the Cultural Affairs Unit, Public Affairs Section, American Embassy, 110 University Avenue, Kamayut Township, Yangon; Ph: 536509/505113, Ext: 4381; email: RangoonUSECA@state.gov.
Sign up to be a YSEALI Member on our website: https://asean.usmission.gov/yseali/