Since opening in February 2008 the Jefferson Center has been the Embassy’s outreach hub for Upper Myanmar, serving the country’s second-largest city Mandalay and the dynamic northern half of the country.
Jefferson Center Mandalay is a place where you can learn about the United States, enhance your English language skills, and participate in open dialogue on many topics. Through discussions, presentations, exhibitions, cultural performances, library resources, classes, and workshops, visitors can experience the best of America and its values.
Admission is free! The Jefferson Center is open to the public, Tuesday through Saturday, from 9 am to 4 pm, with extended hours for special events. The Center is closed on U.S. and Myanmar holidays.
Become a member! Annual membership is 5,000 kyat and is open to all persons 16 years of age or older. A membership card is valid for entry at the American Center in Yangon as well as the Jefferson Center in Mandalay.
Activities and resources include:
- Internet: Free wi-fi access! Visitors can bring in their mobile phones (no laptops please). There are also public access computers, Kindles, Chromebooks, and iPads available for use in the Jefferson Center.
- Library resources: The Jefferson Center library collection includes over 5,000 books, 60 periodical titles, DVDs, and access to eLibaryUSA commercial databases. The Jefferson Center also manages a local Book Locker program, loaning a small collection of books to targeted libraries and community institutions in the area for 3 months to expand the reach and visibility of the Center.
- English language courses: The English Language Program offers a general English curriculum of core courses. Students attend classes for 10-week terms. Registration information is posted on the Jefferson Center Facebook page and the most current schedule is available at the Center.
- Civic education programs: The Institute for Political and Civic Engagement (iPACE) offers courses on civic engagement for democracy activists from civil society organizations and political parties.
- EducationUSA: To help students who are planning to go and study in the United States, student Advising Services are available for free. A monthly “Study in the USA Informational Session” takes place and no registration fee is needed for attending the sessions. Announcements for the info session and scholarship opportunities can be found on www.facebook.com/educationusaburma.
- Youth Clubs: Jefferson Center hosts several clubs, including a Debate Club, Toastmasters, and English conversation clubs. Follow us on Facebook or stop by the Center for more information.
- Special Events: Youth Forum, roundtables with local religious leaders, U.S. speakers, film festivals, English teacher training, cultural presentations, and more!
Hours of Operation
Tuesday – Saturday, 9 am to 4 pm
Classes, workshops, and special events – extended hours, as announced
Closed Sundays and on U.S. and Myanmar holidays
Jefferson Center Mandalay
No. 53, Corner of 26th Street and 71st Street
Chan Aye Thar San Township
Tel: (95)02-73126, 02-73127