Alert: Ordered Departure of Family Members of U.S. Government Employees from U.S. Embassy Rangoon
March 31, 2021
THE EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN RANGOON IS TRANSMITTING THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION THROUGH THE AMERICAN LIAISON NETWORK AS A PUBLIC SERVICE TO U.S. CITIZENS IN BURMA. PLEASE DISSEMINATE THIS MESSAGE TO ALL U.S. CITIZENS IN YOUR ORGANIZATION OR NEIGHBORHOOD.
On February 14, the Department of State authorized the voluntary departure of non-emergency U.S. government employees and their family members. On March 30, the Department updated that status to ordered departure for families of U.S. government employees. U.S. Embassy Rangoon will remain open and continue to provide consular services.
The current Level 4 Travel Advisory is the highest level issued by the Department of State and advises U.S. citizens not to travel to Burma or to leave as soon as it is safe to do so due to the greater likelihood of life-threatening risks. As a result of these conditions, if you experience an emergency, the U.S. Embassy has limited ability to provide assistance. You can read the full Travel Advisory here.
The Consular Section of U.S. Embassy Rangoon remains open and is providing routine and emergency American citizen services. Please visit our website to schedule an appointment to renew your passport, register your child’s birth abroad, or for notary services.
For information and assistance:
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Burma, located at 110 University Avenue, Kamayut Township, Rangoon, at (+95) 1-753-6509 or at ACSRangoon@state.gov.
- Visit our website.
- Refer to the Burma Country Specific Information.
- Review the Department of State Travel Advisory for Burma.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- If you are in the United States, call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free or 1-202-501-4444 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.